A lot has happened in these first few weeks of 2016! Now that I’ve gotten my feet under me and have an established routine, it’s time to set a some goals for growth rather than just maintenance! At least for me, it’s hard to set goals amidst transition because there’s so much uncertainty about what is actually possible to fit into days that already feel too-full. Over the past several weeks, I’ve learned that the things that FUEL me are the same as the things that RELAX me. Each of these goals that I’m laying out fuels me to be the best version of myself – motivated, joyful, and at peace.
At the beginning of the year, our pastor challenged us to choose on “fruit” to focus on developing in 2016. We’re not talking fruit like apples, strawberries, and pineapple… we’re talking fruit as shown in Galatians 5:22-23:
“But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.”
After talking to my husband and some wise women I trust, the fruit that I chose was peace. I had a severe lack of peace this past year! I would freak out about small things, bounce around from one task to the next, and crash at the end of the day in a sea of Netflix and exhaustion. But even if I had accomplished a lot that day… it never felt like enough. I wasn’t at peace! So without further ado…
5 Goals to push towards a more Peaceful Lifestyle
1. Stop OVERCOMMITTING. I’m bad at this. I’ve always been bad at this. I say yes to EVERYTHING, which can be good until people figure out that you always say yes… so they always ask you to do things! I honestly feel that I’m finally coming to understand who I am as a woman, wife, photographer, leader, and that knowledge is equipping me to say “no” when I need to. Understanding my strengths and gifts is teaching me to save my “Yes” for tasks that are meant for me, that will help me grow, and that I can complete with excellence.
2. Get in SHAPE. Most people who start the year with a resolution to get in shape do so for reasons different from mine… either to lose weight, to look good for beach season, or just because it’s just the thing to do and looks good on your Instagram feed. Not me! I want to get in shape because exercising is SO relaxing!!! Not in the usual way of course… but it makes me feel good, can definitely be fun (depending on the activity!), and leaves me awake, alert, and ready to conquer the day.
3. READ… for fun! I’ve shared on the blog before that as a kid, I was an avid reader who would lay on my back in bed and read for hours until my arms got tired of holding the book above my head! I’d gotten away from that, but then I decided I wanted to read again… and those are some of my most relaxing times of the day. This year, my goal is to read at least 1 book per month. It’s not a very lofty goal considering I would read 12 books a day during my elementary school summers… but it’s achievable.
4. Brand my business with a STYLED SHOOT. Eek! I’m so excited about this one! I had coffee with the gorgeous Susie of Susie Marie Photography last week, and she encouraged me to try this as both a networking opportunity and a chance to brand my business with gorgeous work that reflects what Michelle Joy Photography is all about. As I push myself to develop peace in my personal life, I realize that peace comes with consistency, and is something that I also have to curate in my business.
5. Redecorate our HOME. We’ve lived in our house just southeast of Columbus for over a year and a half, and somehow, it’s not quite our own yet. Why? We haven’t really done ANY redecorating! No painting, no new curtains, no nothing. A lot of that is because any extra money has gone towards our businesses, but now that I’m working from home and spending a lot more time actually at the house… it’s starting to bother me!!! I work much better when I’m in a peaceful environment that I love, so redecorating and reorganizing our home falls perfectly with my journey to cultivate peace. I’ll probably be sharing photos of this journey on the blog, so keep your eyes open!
What kind of goals do you have for this year? Can anyone else relate to the need to develop peace in their life? Let me know in the comments below!